Working with nano editor
Nano is small, free and friendly editor which is developed to remove the overcomes of pico editor. Nano is a mode less editor so you can start typing immediately to insert text.
How to install nano editor ?
Nano editor can be installed as follows
- From source
You need to download a source code of nano editor from below mentioned link or from official link
- Link to download nano editor https://www.nano-editor.org/download.php
- Extract this file using a suitable command like: tar -xvzf nano-2.8.4.tar.gz
- cd nano-2.8.4
- make install
- Using terminal
nano editor can be installed by typing a small command on terminal as follows
$sudo apt-get install nano
How to create a file using nano editor?
Within working directory
$nano [option] file_name
Out of working directory
$nano [option] pah/to/destination/file_name
Top five options for nano editor
- + line_number,column_nmuber ($nano +4,7 file_name) : You will find your cursor in 4th row and 7th column of your file
- -B (backup): When saving a file, back up the previous version of it to the current filename suffixed with a ~
- -L(nonnewlines): Don’t add newlines to the ends of files
- -N (nonconvert): Don’t convert files from DOS/Mac format
- -k(cut): Cut from the current cursor position to the end of the current line
How to quit a file from nano editor?
A file can be quit by pressing Ctrl + x
Next, it will ask, Save modified buffer (ANSWERING “No” WILL DESTROY CHANGES) ?
- To save, you have to press Y/y else N/n
- To cancel, you have to press Ctrl + c
How to copy/cut and paste content in nano editor ?
- To copy a word or line
- Position the cursor at the beginning of the character from which you want to copy. Press Alt + a or Ctrl + 6
- Use arrow keys to highlight your desired word or line to copy
- Use Alt + 6 to copy your highlighed word or line
- Now, navigate to the place you want to paste. Release paste with Ctrl + u
- To cut a single line from your file
- You need to come at beginning of your line and punch Ctrl + k , now your line will disapper from there.
- To paste this line, you need to punch Ctrl + u
- To cut multiple lines from your file
- You need to come at beginning of the line from where want to cut, now punch n time Ctrl + k (where n is number of lines which you want to cut )
- To paste these lines, you need to punch Ctrl + u
- To cut n number of words from a line
- First, you need to come at beginning to words which you want to cut.
- Now press Alt + a or Ctrl + 6
- Now move your cursor to the end of the text you want to cut: the marked text gets highlighted
- If you need to cancel your text marking, simply hit Alt + a or Ctrl + 6
- To cut these selected words, press Ctrl + k
- To paste, press Ctrl + u
How to search a string in nano editor ?
- In nano editor you will find whereis instead of search
- To search a string, you need to hit Ctrl + w
- At bottom of your file you will find a blinking cursor where you have to type your desired string or character
- Finally hit Enter
- Your cursor will jump to beginning of your string which you wanted to search.
Nano’s enhancement above pico
- Search and replace
- Go to line and column number
am pleased to inform that you can also write articles for PaperGuide. Visit our page Join PaperGuide for more details or send your detailed resume along with a sample article ( atleast 1000 words ) at firstname.lastname@example.org.